Friday, May 12, 2017

Freaking Allergies

Ok so apparently Barcelona trees have more pollen than the entire state of Georgia. Today was AWFUL, you couldn't go five minutes without scratching your eyes, sneezing, or blowing your nose. I think the worst part about it is the little stuff that blows off the trees. I wore a black dress and it looked like I had been rolling around with a dog all day (ugh, in my dreams) because there was what looked like little hairs stuck to me. So today, sunny and 75 with a 100% chance of sneezing and stuffiness.

Other than the allergies today was quite nice! I got a lazy start to the day after sleeping through three alarms. We went to a museum this morning about roman ruins. It was really cool and let you walk around ruins of the city that were still in tact. We got an audio tour to go with it and it had signs that explained everything along the walls. It was fun learning things without wondering if I'm going to get tested on it! Did you know that they had sewer system type canal where people from the streets would pee in it and it would all drain back to the laundry place? Apparently pee was used as bleach! Also the slaves (or I guess whoever owned them) had to pay taxes on the pee canals. What a crazy time to be alive!


Today I noticed a lot more coach busses with groups traveling and more families/people in general. Since it's the weekend there were also a few more shops and pop up tents that were on different streets. We walked around the streets and tried to find presents for our people. I love shopping when I travel I wish I had unlimited money so I could buy everything in the tourist shops. You never know when you'll need an olive oil dispenser with La Sagrada Familia on it and matching salt and pepper shakers!!

The streets of Barcelona don't feel as foreign anymore. I'm starting to recognize different areas and people don't look as confused when I throw a Spanish word into my sentences. Tomorrow is our last day though and I'm happy about that because I'd rather leave Barcelona wanting a little more instead of being sick of it and just ready to get out. I feel like you can only be a tourist in a city for so long. After a while you really need a purpose to enjoy the city to its fullest potential.

So on to the important things, FOOD. I slept too late to get breakfast (still scarred from yesterday) and I just had a ham and cheese croissant for lunch. But dinner was SO GOOD! We went to this Mexican place and I had Mexican sangria (it's like soda water + wine) which was kind of weird but fizzy and delicious! This place had a fun vibe and was packed. After dinner we walked home and stopped by a skate park. Barcelona is a HUGE skateboarding city since it's so flat and the streets are so smooth. On our walk home is this plaza where the skateboarders congregate and then people just sit and watch them skate. They can do pretty cool tricks I was impressed!!

Tomorrow we have a few more tourist stops and then it's off to Rome. So until then, Adios!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment