Friday, May 22, 2015

Welcome to Scotland

Today was an eventful day to say the least. I woke up this morning to a knock on our door from our teacher. My immediate thoughts were "oh my gosh we are the last ones we are so late we are holding up everyone he is going to fail me, ahh". He ended up telling us that we were going to store everyone's bags in our room so we should be ready by 8:30. He was an hour early. I woke up before my alarm. 😁 This morning was great though because we got to walk everywhere. I love waking instead of taking busses, it's just another chance to take in and experience the city. I am so sick of coach busses and underground trains! It's funny because today we walked a TON but in comparison to Italy, specifically Rome, today was nothing but enjoyable. I am going to have feet of steel  by the end of this trip.
A pretty park we walked through 

During our walk we went to two museums. Honestly, at this point they all look the same and I can barely appreciate the artwork inside the museums. I think I'm alone in that mindset but I'm just speakin the truth! We are shown so much art and history in three weeks it all just runs together. While we were at the British museum someone pulled the fire alarm and we had to spend 20 minutes outside waiting for them to fix it. Because of this delay we only had around 30 minutes of free time to walk around. This was my favorite painting that I saw in the museum...


We arrived at the train station, King's Cross, around 2:00 pm. Both teachers were extremely stressed out and basically sprinting through the streets, not caring if traffic split up the group. Eventually we all made it to the station, grabbed some lunch, and waited for our train. Just our luck, everyone had to evacuate the train station because of "suspicious activity" that no one could tell us about. It also didn't help the situation that one teacher had recently mentioned how ISIS was destroying major historical sites. After 30-45 minutes we were all let back in and our stressed out, rude teacher led us to our train. I honestly believe it's a miracle that we didn't leave anyone during that transition. 

The train ride was 4 hours long and not very comfortable. Everyone was surprisingly awake during it, so people were chit chatting, playing games, and joking around. The time passed much faster than I thought it would and by 8:45 we had arrived in Edinburgh. The city is insanely beautiful and way different than I expected. I thought it would be rolling hills of green and sheep everywhere! I was so wrong. 




Tomorrow is a free day so we get to walk around and do whatever we want, I'll keep you updated on what happens 😊

Goodnight! 
~emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment